Mac No Cheese
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks (if you want a white sauce don't add the carrot)
1 medium yellow potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 white onion, diced into large chunks
3 garlic cloves, chopped in half lengthwise
2 cups veggie stock
1.5 Tbsp. lemon juice
2.5 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 1/4 cups cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. peperoncino powder or chili powder (more to taste if you want it spicier. When I make this for nacho dip I use 1/2 tsp.!)
2 tsp. Himalayan salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 box of your favorite macaroni pasta. I like to use chickpea pasta when I don’t plan on having a protein to go with it and it’s great option if you’re gluten-free!
4 cups baby kale or any leafy green (or 2 cups cooked broccoli)
1/4 cup cooked quinoa (for the topping)
2 scallions, sliced (to garnish)
1. In a small pot place 2 cups veggie stock with 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, peel and dice the carrot, potato, and onion and preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. Once boiling place diced carrot and potato and cook until soft when pierced with a fork.
3. While the vegetables cook place a pot of water to boil for the pasta and cook until al dente. Then drain and set aside.
5. While pasta is cooking place garlic and onions in a sauté pan with 1 Tbsp. EVOO and sauté until translucent.
6. Once the carrot and potato are soft use a slotted spoon and add to blender with sautéed garlic and onions (don’t add the oil from the sauté). Add about 3/4 c. of veggie stock liquid. Save about 1/2 cup of the rest of the stock liquid if needed.
7. To the blender add the cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast & spices. Blend to liquify. I put my Vitamix on soup mode to keep it hot, but it will stay hot if you don’t have a heat mode.
8. in the same sauté pan used for the garlic, use 1 Tbsp. EVOO to sauté baby kale (or other veggies). For extra moisture add a little veggie stock to the pan. Cook the vegetables about 80% through.
9. To a casserole dish add the pasta, baby kale and mix. Slowly pour the cheese sauce over the dish little by little and mix.
10. Top with cooked quinoa "breadcrumbs" and place in the oven at 350˚F for 15 minutes.
11. Once out of the oven place diced scallions on top & dig in!!